I’m a carer, can I get any support?

Yes, there is a range of support available and we are here to guide you through it.

Academic support

You may need to request extensions or mitigating circumstances from the University. To make it easier to get these, let your personal tutor know that you’re a carer so that your School is aware of your situation. See our related articles for more information.

Financial support

You might be able to claim Carer’s Allowance to help you out. See our related articles or have a look for more information on Carer’s Allowance is available here.  

If you find yourself in financial hardship and you are a UK student, you can apply to the University Financial Assistance Fund.

Additionally, Carers Leeds provide a range of really good support from advice and information, to grants and socials for carers. They also provide specific help for carers under 25.

Personal support

Don’t feel you have to wait until things get difficult before you have a chat. We know that juggling University work and caring for a loved one isn’t easy and can be isolating. We know that balancing these extra responsibilities could affect your studies, financial situation, or how you feel. As a University of Leeds student you also have free access to the Big White Wall, an online mental health and wellbeing service which you can use alongside other support services. 

Help is here if you need it.