Why am I paying tax?

Everyone has to pay tax, even students.

This can be confusing as it's pretty unusual for students to earn enough to cross the minimum tax threshold. But this does happen.

Generally you will only have to pay tax if you earn over £221 a week, but this will depend on your tax code. 

Tax is deducted by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) so is it beyond our control.

To make sure your tax code is right, take your P45 from your old job to Joblink for further information and advice. You can find their offices in Union Square (next to WoknGo and Humpit Hummus). 

If you are struggling with anything tax related then please visit the following webpage or you can call the HMRC tax office on 0300 200 3300.