I'm having problems attending my lectures or classes

If you can’t attend a class due to health reasons, bereavement or personal difficulties then you should let your tutor know. There’s more information on what to do if you’re ill in the Taught Student Guide.

You can self-certify for illness up to five days, for longer periods you would need a doctor’s note. Absence isn’t authorised for reasons like traffic problems, family celebrations or paid employment. 

If there’s a problem with your attendance your School/ Department should contact you to find out why. If the problem continues you could risk getting expelled from the University. 

For more info, check out the University’s Guide for Taught Students on Attendance Monitoring (PDF). Plus there’s lots of guidance for research students at the Regulations, Codes, Policies and Procedures page.  

If you’re struggling with your attendance you should let your Department know as soon as you can. If you can’t sort it out with them or are worried about your attendance, just speak to the LUU Advice for help and advice. You can also access the Big White Wall for free as a student of Leeds, this is an online mental health and wellbeing service which you can use alongside other support services.