I am a disabled student, what support can I get?

If you have a disability, you will need to declare this to the university to receive support for your studies. We advise registering with Disability Services as soon as possible to avoid any delays in having support put in place.

You may receive a summary sheet which recommends support for your time at university. This could include the likes of exam adjustments, accessible facilities on campus, assistive technology, extended library facilities and handouts/recordings of teaching sessions. Support will be based upon your individual needs and disability as discussed with an advisor. 

The university also has a Support Worker Team who can offer library support, sighted guides, note taking, specialist mentoring, study skills tuition or British Sign Language. These services are provided through additional funding. You can talk to a dedicated Disability Coordinator to find out more about accessing this support. Contact Disability Services on disability@leeds.ac.uk or 0113 343 3927 to arrange an appointment.

You may also be eligible for Disabled Students Allowances which is additional funded support to cover costs arising from your disability. This could include an equipment allowance, non medical helper allowance (1 to 1 tuition or mentoring), travel allowance and general allowance.

If you are concerned about how to put support in place or the support you are already receiving, please contact Disability Services or come to our Advice Centre in LUU for a chat

NUS have also compiled a toolkit of support services available to Disabled Students here; https://www.nus.org.uk/more/faqs/disability-support