I'm having an issue with my housemate, what do I do?

If you are not getting along with someone you are living with there are some steps you can take to try and solve the problem.

If you feel comfortable doing so, the first step would be to speak to your flatmate(s), if there is specific thing that is upsetting you, it’s better to let them know. They may not realise that their actions are affecting you. Hopefully, by having this conversation, you will be able to work towards sorting things out.

If after trying this there is no change and you live in University accommodation, you can contact your sub-warden, who can offer some help. A discussion can be set up where both sides get to talk about the living situation, with the sub-warden there as a mediator.

If the issue isn’t resolved by talking to your flatmate(s) or is more serious and escalates, then please come into speak to us at LUU Advice, we can offer some further guidance on the issue. Leaving a housing contract in privately rented accommodation can be tricky so come in and chat to us so you can know the legal and financial implications of this. 

If there are persistent issues or a concern about your safety, or your flatmate’s safety, please contact us. But in the case of immediate risk, please call the police on 999. 

We understand that having a peaceful living situation is crucial to your well being. So if you are having some problems in your accommodation, please don’t hesitate to come in an see us at LUU Advice. We won’t tell you what to do, we will give you your options going forward so you can make an informed decision about the next steps. 

If the issue is affecting your well being the University's Counselling Service run a daily drop-in at LUU from 1pm-4pm, where you can speak to a trained counsellor in a private space. You can ring LUU Advice on the day to make an appointment or come into LUU Advice.