What happens after I’ve applied for Mitigating Circumstances?

Extension requests are dealt with by staff in your School. You will be sent an email with the outcome of your request. In the meantime, it’s best to keep working on your coursework as long as you are well enough to do so.

Additional Consideration requests get approved by your School Special Circumstances Committee. If the Committee thinks that your work was affected by the issues you raise then they will make a recommendation to the Progression and Awards Board. You might not hear about the outcome for Additional Consideration for some time, sometimes not until the end of the academic year.

The outcomes you can get from an Additional Consideration request are:

  • First attempt resit - this is where your original mark is removed and whatever mark you get in this resit go in its place, whether you do better or worse
  • A further exceptional resit attempt - this is capped at a pass mark like a standard resit
  • Consideration of your circumstances when looking at your degree classification - if your results are within the discretionary band you may get put up to the higher classification
  • Removal of penalties for late submission or going over the word count
  • Resitting all or part of the year as an internal student - you would be able to attend teaching but would need to pay tuition fees again

There can be other decisions made on an exceptional basis. Resits are usually only allowed for work that has been failed, and they must be taken at the next available opportunity (this is usually the next assessment period).

If your circumstances are serious and will last a long time, it might be a good idea to take some time out from your course. All the information on how to take temporary leave can be found here.

If you get an outcome that you’re unhappy with, speak to LUU Advice confidentially and we will advise you on next steps.