If I leave University what will the costs be?

It’s likely that you’ll have to pay some tuition fees and some rent. It depends on when you leave. 

If you leave at the end of your first term, you’ll have to pay 25% of your tuition fees for that year. If you leave at the end of your second term, it’s 50% and third term it’s 100%. 

You may have to leave your university accommodation if you’re in halls and if you’re in private accommodation you’ll have to start paying council tax. 

If you are in University accommodation you will have signed a fixed term contract for a set number of weeks so you will still have to pay in these weeks or find another student who would be happy to take your room. 

There are some exceptions that can get you out of your contract early, but there is normally a notice period of up to eight weeks. Exceptions include leaving your university course or exceptional personal circumstances.

You will have to get an agreement from the Accommodation Office to be released. Speak to them first before signing any other housing contracts, or you could end up having to pay two rents. 

If you want to leave early because you are having problems in the accommodation or don't like the people you are living with, speak to the Hall or Flat warden first as they may be able to resolve the problem. 

Remember, don’t move out without seeking advice first, fixed term contracts are difficult to break. 

For more information, you can visit the University's page on leaving the university, contact Student Finance England directly or come into LUU Advice for a chat.