I can't attend my exam what should I do?

If you experience problems before the exam

If exam stress is getting too much for you and you feel like you can't cope, talk to somebody about it. The University of Leeds Student Counselling Centre offers a drop-in service, self-help clinic and appointments for individual counselling. You could also speak to your GP if you’re struggling. 

If things in your personal life are affecting your exams let your department know and they might be able to consider that when marking your exams. Search mitigating circumstances for more information. 

On the day of the exam

If you’re too ill to take the exam or your illness is highly contagious, go to your GP for advice and request a medical certificate stating you were unfit to attend and submit this to your parent School as evidence of mitigating circumstances. You can find out more on the Exam Preparations page.

You may also be able to apply for mitigating circumstances for other problems such as a family emergency, an accident or other unexpected serious problems. Our related articles have further help on this. 

During the exam 

If you begin to experience problems during the exam, alert the exam invigilator. See our related articles for further information. 

The Exams and Assessments section of the Taught Student Guide has lots of information on what to do if you are ill and exam rules. If you need more information, get in touch with us.