LeadLUU is the name of our annual Student Executive leadership race – the biggest opportunity in our series of annual elections here at the Union. It’s one of the largest student elections in the country, and is a pretty big deal in the Leeds campus calendar.
In short, students are invited to run to join the Student Exec, either as a sabbatical year during their studies, as a placement year, or after they have graduated. The roles are full-time, and pay £19,405.50 each for the year. Any student, no matter their level or programme of study, is eligible to run.
Those who nominate themselves run a campaign to convince their fellow students to elect them, before the Leeds community votes for the candidates they’d like to represent them for the year. The candidates with the most votes win, becoming the next Student Exec team.
The Officers work together to lead the Union for a year, deciding its direction, acting as trustees, and representing the voice of over 36,000 students in high-level decision making at the Union and University. They’re the face of the Union, hosting awards ceremonies and representing Leeds students on national TV and radio. They also engage with students through face-to-face chats and events, and through lots of content across our website and social media. From approving new campus buildings to sailing down existing ones, no two days are the same for LUU’s Student Exec.
We’re currently looking for our next group of candidates. If you think you’ve got what it takes to lead the Union, we want to hear from you. Just register your interest below for more information – it won’t commit you to running if you’re not 100% sure.
You can also use the form to nominate someone else you think could be a super student leader.
- Nominations open: Monday 29 November
- Nominations close: Friday 4 February
- Training period: Monday 7 – Friday 18 February
- Campaigning period: Monday 21 February – Thursday 3 March
- Voting period: 7am Monday 28 February to 7pm Thursday 3 March
Which roles are up for grabs?
- Activities & Opportunities. Here to make sure your social life thrives at Uni. Whether that’s getting the right funding for your favourite clubs and societies, tackling the cost of sport, or making sure our co-curricular activities are the best in the country.
- Education. Changes things up for the better so that the University is always providing students with the best academic experience, helping them to get the most out of their degree.
- Wellbeing. Here for your health and happiness at Leeds. They’re focused on making sure students have access to any help and support they might need whilst at University.
- Equality & Liberation. They make sure the Union, University and further afield are accessible and inclusive for everyone. They fight to make your time at Leeds fair.
- International & Postgraduate. Represents our diverse international and postgraduate community, creating opportunities to share culture and experiences, and ensuring that these groups are fully represented.
- Union Affairs & Communications. This Officer is all about the governance, democracy and finance of the Union. Keeping it up and running, and fair for you, and helping to govern the University to make sure it reflects your views.
You also get to vote for the Gryphon Editor, who heads up the student newspaper and brings you informative and incisive news about university life.
More detailed info about each role can be found here.
- Nominations Start
3 January 2022 at 07:00 AM
(2 weeks ago)
- Nominations End
4 February 2022 at 19:00 PM
(1 week from now)
- Voting Start
28 February 2022 at 07:00 AM
(1 month from now)
- Voting End
3 March 2022 at 19:00 PM
(1 month from now)