Help and Support: General FAQ's

Help and Guidance on Brexit

Here at Leeds University Union and The University of Leeds, we're committed to supporting every student and member of staff in this time, aiming to provide and share information as soon as we can.


Will I still be able to study in the UK?

If you are joining a course in 2019/20, or you are a current student, you will still be able to live and study in the UK after the UK leaves the EU. 

Will I be able to study abroad?

Yes. Current study abroad and work placement students eligible for Erasmus+ are continuing to receive their grants.

From Summer 2019 onwards, if a year abroad is a compulsory part of your course the University will provide study or work experience in a relevant country. Find out more here under the heading ‘Study and work abroad placements in the EU from summer 2019 onwards’.

Will there be any changes to EU research funding?

Postgraduate researchers already studying at Leeds will receive confirmation direct from their funders but we understand that these researchers will continue on their current funding basis for the duration of their study programme.

Find out more here under the heading ‘Staff and postgraduate researchers’

Will there be any change to EU research collaborations?

While Leeds is not as dependent on European research funding as some universities, it is nonetheless of great importance, accounting for nearly 16% of our research income.

Check out the University’s information for various funding options under ‘Research Funding - Current Situation.’ Alternatively, if you experience any examples of being omitted from EU bids, please contact at the University of Leeds. 

Will this affect working part-time (i.e. teaching or marking) for the University?

The For Staff website has a dedicated section on Brexit which shares the latest updates, advice and guidance for EU nationals employed at the University.

Will there be any changes to fees/student loans for current students and graduates?

EU students who currently receive student loans and/or grants from Student Finance England (SFE), and EU nationals applying to start courses in England in the 2019/20 academic year can find information about this from Student Finance England.

Work and Residency

Will I still be able to work part-time or full-time in the UK?

If you are an EU citizen and have been granted settled status, you’ll be able to work part or full-time in the UK.

To learn more about applying for settled status in the UK head here, or drop by Help and Support in the Union building. 

Will I be able to live in the UK after I graduate?

Yes, but you might need to apply for ‘pre-settled status’. Find out if you do on the University page here, under the section ‘Visa and immigration status for EU students and postgraduate researchers at Leeds’.

What’s the process to get residency/settled status, and what do I need to qualify?

You can find the full requirements of applying for residency on the University page here, under the section ‘Visa and immigration status for EU students and postgraduate researchers at Leeds’.


Where can I find extra help and support?

If the ongoing Brexit negotiations have made you feel unsafe and you feel you’ve been affected by hate crime, you can report your experience anonymously here or get in touch with our Help and Support team. 

Leeds University Union’s Help and Support team are available 24/7 online, or you can visit them in foyer of the LUU building. You can also drop them an email on

While we endeavour to keep this information as up to date as possible, we cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies. For the latest information from the government, please visit the Department for Exiting the European Union website. Regularly updated Brexit FAQs for universities and students are also available on the Universities UK website